Monday, March 11, 2013

Scientific horror has never been better. Also, the prequel to The Wizard of Oz

The Bay:

Story:

A bacterial outbreak causes chaos.

Review:

My opinion of found footage horror tends to be the same. It sucks. The amount of good found footage films that I have seen are barely countable on both hands. So colour me surprised when this gem was discovered. Part documentary, part found footage, this scientific horror film is one of the best I have seen in the genre.

What I liked the most:

1. The story.

This is somewhat complex. About 5 minutes in you realize just how real the filmmakers wanted this to be, with the filmmakers providing a lot of real material to provide the fictional story. As such, The Bay has moments of terror that are supported by real species and creatures. In fact, one could be convinced that the events that occur in The Bay could actually happen.

2. Use of sound.

Yeah most horror films rely on sound more than visuals to provide scares, but this one relies more on sound to not only make you jump, but creep you out and fill you with dread as The Bay progresses.

3. Creepy science fiction type creatures.

Without spoiling what it is, I will sum this up by not only saying that the creatures are terrifying, but they're based on actual creatures that live in the water. That said, an actual outbreak would be terrifying.

What I liked the least:

1. The main character.

This is more of a personal dislike. I don't really know why, but I hâte this type of character in general. They're so annoying in horror films and generally provide nothing helpful, as they merely tell you what is going on, while you see it occur. It's like a sports commentator, but more annoying.

Who I recommend The Bay to:

Horror film fans. Especially those that like good found footage films.

---

Oz: The Great and Powerful:

Story:

Oscar Diggs, a circus magician, finds himself in Oz, where he soon discovers he is destined for greatness.

Review:

Remember The Wizard of Oz? Dorothy, Toto and company all went on a magical adventure that swept us away in its splendor?

Oz successfully brings that feeling back in this prequel to that classic story.

With that said, it's not as good as The Wizard of Oz, but it is pretty good.

What I liked the most:

1. They explain Oz.

Before watching this, I watched The Wizard of Oz to refresh my memory on the story and compare the two films. One glaring problem with The Wizard of Oz was that they never really explained how Oz came to be. In Oz: The Great and Powerful, they finally manage to give us an explanation as to who
Oz is and why he's there.

2. A film in true Disney style.

With Disney going fully into the CGI realm and abandoning the beloved animation style that made their films so memorable, it was difficult watching their films for a while , knowing that the magic was all but gone. Oz fixes that, though without the animation. Throughout the film and its wonderful effects I felt like I was being carried through another joyous film of adventure and magic.

3. Funny moments abound.

Subtle sexual humour, some very cheeky jokes, and even a spontaneous musical number all gave me cause to laugh, increasing my enjoyment of this already amazing film.

Who I recommend this film to:

Anyone who has a heart. If you are indeed a heartless individual, don't watch this. Also, I recommend this to people who have seen the classic film that is technically a sequel to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment