Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What do you get when two Japanese people are kidnapped, tortured, and killed? A ridiculous movie. Oddly enough, it's more ridiculous in a good way than a bad way.

Grotesque:

Story:

Two young Japanese people are kidnapped and tortured by a sadistic individual.

Review:

I firstly want to say I hate the people that recommended this movie to me. Grotesque is truly a film that lives up to its title. It is disgusting, disturbing, and discomforting. Ironically enough, it has a good background story and is oddly romantic.

As far as story, there's a surprising amount more than is implied from the synopsis, and it actually develops fairly well considering what this film is about. The romantic bit was well appreciated relief from the violence, and there is a part that can be viewed as comical if the person's sense of humour is dark and disgusting enough.

There is a lot and I mean A LOT of blood and gore in Grotesque, and I get the feeling this may have been made to poke fun at other torture horror films that were released before this one.

Overall this was quite a different film than I thought it was. Violent, dark, and disturbing yet also mildy romantic and mildy comical. The actors are genuine in their pained expressions and the plot is perfectly paced.

I don't know if I can recommend this to anyone. If you liked Hostel or Saw you might like Grotesque.

No comments:

Post a Comment