Sunday, May 19, 2013

What happens when you put a camera crew, two innocent high schoolgirls, and a principal in a haunted school? A disappointing movie.

POV:

Story:

After a bizarre supernatural occurrence during the filming of a TV show, the camera crew and hosts investigate, leading them to a high school with a tragic past.

Review:

I like J-horror to some extent, as I've mentioned numerous times with movies like Noroi and Marebito. As such, I was excited when I found POV. It has multiple similarities to Koji Shiraishi's films, yet strayed in terms of technical skill.

To write specifically about POV, I'd have to say it's a found footage film with both Noroi and Ringu style scary moments, providing both clever and intense sequences instead of jump scares. I did however find myself forcing myself to keep awake while watching this.

Unfortunately, what ruined POV the most is the acting. Granted, most of the time it was evident the atrocious script was the cause, but the rest of the time the actors and actresses were just terrible. Two different facial expressions does not equal good acting!

The special effects were very well done, comprised of various low budget techniques that actually helped the spooky parts seem more real. But unfortunately that is the only good part about POV.

Overall POV is a very lacklustre horror film with some interesting low budget effects. I hope more films like this (but better) are released soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment